People have the habit of keeping memories, we like it and it takes us back to a memorable moment. They were perhaps, having shared time with loved ones or a place where we felt very good.
Those memories can be a ticket to the movies, a recital, a party and so many other experiences, for which we decide to keep those moments we enjoy, to relive them constantly.
That same objective: “to keep a memory” is what POAP is looking for.
What is POAP?
POAP (initials of “Proof of Attendance Protocol”), is a way of digitally evidencing for having been present or having participated in an activity in the real world or online.
In the words of the founder of POAP, Patricio Worthalter:
“I wanted anyone to be able to very easily record their participation in a real-world activity: going to a concert, visiting a museum, participating in a sporting event, going to see a tennis match, etc. And that in any of those opportunities one could verify that he or she participated with the certainty that that proof, that verification, is certain and unalterable. That the individual must have actually participated in that event. A technology that produces these results needs a reliable mathematical substrate, as the blockchain allows.”
In technical words: a POAP is a digital certificate represented by an NFT ("non-fungible token", a digital asset representing something unique) which is minted under the proof of Attendance Protocol Smart Contract and is stored on a Blockchain. That NFT serves as proof of attendance at an event in the real world, on online platforms, or even in the metaverse.
Who Creates the POAPs?
The organizers of an event, interested in granting a POAP to their participants, will create the POAP before the event, on the POAP website. There they will complete data such as the reason for the event, a brief description, the date and time of the event, and the location. They must also incorporate a static or dynamic image (animated gif), which will be representative and identifiable of the NFT to be generated. Example of some POAPs of different events:
You can see the list of events that have awarded POAPs at the following link.
Once the event organizers have created the POAP NFT, its distribution (also called "drop") is enabled. The usual way to do this is through a QR code that event participants can scan and get their POAP immediately. Optionally, the event organizers can send a download link by email.
How to Acquire a POAP?
The only thing you need to acquire a POAP is to have a mailing address or an Ethereum wallet and attend an event where they give out a POAP.
If you don't have an Ethereum wallet, here are some options:
- Metamask browser extension (recommended).
- Mobile apps like Trust Wallet or Rainbow Wallet (this one allows you to view your POAP collection easily).
- A wallet for the desktop: Electrum, Exodus
Once the event is over, the organizers will grant a keyword or QR code to claim the POAP, Another option, is that they ask you for an email address to send you a URL and be able to access the POAP or your Ethereum address to be able to send you the POAP directly to your wallet.
You can check all your POAPs on the official website. Simply by connecting your Ethereum wallet, it will show you all the POAPs associated with it.
You can also download the mobile app, called Poap Wallet (Android, iOs), in which you associate your Ethereum address to see your POAPs, you can scan the QR codes or enter the secret word of the events that grant POAPs.
Keep in mind that POAPs are open-source and free!
Why is POAP Important?
POAPs allows event organizers to interact in a better way with their community, providing a personalized experience and advantages for users who purchase them.
Each POAP has a special design, and event data and also opens a door of possibilities to its owners; such as access to raffles, exclusive events or activities, discounts and gifts, courses, and so on. For example, blockchain communities like SushiSwap DAO (a DEX), distribute POAPs automatically, to those who participate in weekly community meetings or voters of government proposals. The objective of this action is to increase participation.
Where are the POAPs Stored?
POAPs are NFTs, tokens that implement Ethereum's ERC-721 standard and are stored on the Gnosis Chain blockchain (a sidechain - it is the main network of the xDAI token), which is compatible with Ethereum, although cheaper and faster that allows issuers to mint POAPs for very little cost.
Although the function of the POAP is associated with a feeling of a memory of a special event and as the purpose of its collection, there is also the possibility of selling it. It should be considered that they are given for free at events, so they do not usually have a significant financial value.
There is a platform for its commercialization, in the Gnosis Chain network, called Porio.
Alternatively, you can transfer a POAP from Gnosis Chain to the main network (Ethereum) from the POAP platform, with the "Migrate POAP" functionality, paying the corresponding fees.
Once transferred, it remains as an NFT in the Ethereum network, so it can be traded in marketplaces such as Opensea.
The POAP ecosystem contains three actors:
- The issuer (event organizers): It is an organization or person who generates a POAP and distributes it to the audience that participates in the event, adding value to its community.
- Receiver (collectors or event participants): a person who receives the POAP and collects them as a memory of special moments, for a reason of belonging to a community, for recognition, or as a reward for access to exclusive content or activities. This POAP will be persisted in a collectible and traceable token on a blockchain.
- Curator: This is the role in charge of validating the suitability of the event, its editorial and production quality, and that the distribution (drop) is adequate. The people in this role belong to a group or “POAP curation body” (according to POAP Glossary), that ensures quality.
Both issuers and collectors can interact with various DApps (decentralized applications), which are intended to enhance the experience of both in the POAP world:
- poap.xyz: The main website is also called the “central platform”.
- app.poap.xyz/admin/events: The Specific site to create a new event in the POAP platform.
- poap.chat: A site that gives owners of certain POAPs access to private chat channels.
- poap.delivery: A simplified method for event organizers to distribute POAPs directly to their audience's Ethereum wallets.
- poap.vote: This is a tool that can be used to create polls, proposals outreach surveys, and general-purpose votes targeted toward holders of specific POAPs.
- poap.fun: is a tool that can be used to create raffles only open to holders of specific POAPs..
- poap.gallery: An exposition of POAPs and a place where POAPs can be claimed.
- poap.art: a shared canvas for POAP holders to collaboratively create pieces of pixel art.
Links of interest
About Rather Labs.
Rather Labs is a Blockchain Technical partner who provides the blockchain expertise along with the partner intensity founders need.
Rather Labs is committed to work alongside our clients as a technical partner, providing insights, technical design, engineering team management, recommendations, maintenance and technology projection.
The company is led by co-founders which have been involved in blockchain projects in finance, real state, gaming, and other industries for years.
For more information, visit https://www.ratherlabs.com or follow the company on Medium https://medium.com/rather-labs and https://www.linkedin.com/company/ratherlabs